Thursday 8 February 2018

Adding Sound Effects Evaluation


This assignment required me to add sound effects to a film or TV scene of my choice. For my first example I chose a scene from 'Reservoir Dogs' where there is a mexican standoff between three characters. The original scene had sound effects of guns cocking and also being shot. I muted these points of the scene and replaced them with sound effects that i found on a website called freesound.org. I used garageband to mute the original sound effects and combine the new sound effects with the clip and to export them to a .mov file. I chose to replace the sound effects with similar ones because there isn't much room for other ones in the scene as they are in an enclosed and empty warehouse. I noticed that there were two separate types of gun used in the scene so i made sure to use sound effects of two separate types of gun to signify this. I feel that I managed to time the sound effects well so that they fit the scene. I do also however feel like one of the gunshot sounds that I used sounds a bit unrealistic.


For my second example I chose a scene from 'Silence Of The Lambs' in which the main character, Clarice Starling, meets Hannibal Lecter for the first time. The original scene didn't really have any sound effects in it apart from the sound of Clarice sitting in a chair. I, again, used garageband to add the sound effects and export the clip to a .mov file. The setting of the scene was a prison hallway that seemed quite dirty and dingy. I added the sound of dripping water to signify a leak to show this problem. I also added the sound of rats squeaking because of this. I then added the sound of a chair being pulled out just before Clarice sits down to signify that the chair was there and a part of the scene. I feel that the sound effects that I put in the scene added to the mood and overall atmosphere of the prison setting. I added a low pass to the water dripping to make it sound like it was happening in the distance rather than near them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unit 38 Soundtrack Production Proposals

Proposal 1 The deadline for this assignment is the 29th of March and I need to create proposals for 2 scenes of my choice as well as c...